At Cow House Studios we teach drawing, painting, photography and new media through expertly guided classes and rigorous studio practice. Our curriculum is centred around research, experimentation and critical thinking, complemented by practical demonstrations and workshops to advance your technical knowledge. Group critiques and individual tutorials form an integral part of our program, helping you to gain confidence and self-awareness in discussing your artwork. Furthermore, lectures and gallery visits will introduce you to various artists working in relevant media, giving context to your interests and further informing your own artwork. We encourage a multidisciplinary approach, which can include exploring an idea or theme through a variety of materials, processes or media.
Our students come to the Cow House with diverse backgrounds; many have a lot of experience and plan to pursue a career in the arts, while others arrive with very little experience in the art room but are dedicated to improving their artistic abilities. The most important quality in our students is a desire to make art.
Embracing this variance, you will be paired with a mentor who will work with you on an individual basis. Our mentors are accomplished visual artists, dedicated to working with young people. Through individual tutorials and assignments that are tailored to your needs and goals, they provide the one-on-one attention necessary to guide you through the technical and conceptual challenges you will face to make your ideas tangible.
At the core of our curriculum is drawing; in addition, you will choose an area of concentration in either painting, photography or new media. Each day begins with a drawing lesson exploring the themes of light, space, colour and movement, which may then be applied to any creative process.
A Typical Day at Cow House Studios
Breakfast at 9am. Then into the studio at 10am for the first workshop, typically focusing on drawing to get the creative juices flowing. Break at 11am for a refresh and the second session begins at 11:15am where you will work in your chosen area of concentration; painting, photography or new media. Lunch is served from 1pm to 2pm. After lunch, we return to the studio for our third session of the day which is typically a brief led project where the prejects are desinged to develop a specific skill while allowing you to choose your subject matter. Between 5pm and 6pm is open studio time where faculty give individual attention and tutorials. You can also explore the farm, read a book or catch up with friends and family back home. Dinner, a yummy home cooked meal, is served at 7pm. After dinner you may use the studio facilities to continue developing their projects, watch a movie, play a game of pool or partake in one of our many organised evening activities.
- Option 1: Drawing & Painting
- Option 2: Drawing & Darkroom Photography
- Option 3: Drawing & New Media
Sample workshops, presentations & classes:
- making a cyanotype
- introduction to printing in the darkroom
- the history & processes of photography
- introduction to oil painting
- two-day life drawing session
- workshop on colour theory
- Shooting video & recording audio
- digital manipulation in Adobe Photoshop
- presentations by Irish artists
Weeks 1 & 2
- Intensive workshops in drawing, painting, photography and new media
- Brief led projects: you will develop specific skills while exploring your chosen subject matter in your area of concentration
- Trips to Dublin and the west of Ireland provide inspiration and artistic, cultural and historical context
- Group critique provides feedback as you refine your work
- Collaborative projects based on contemporary artwork
- For the next 10 days choose your medium and explore personally meaningful content
- Develop your project under the individual guidance of one of our artists